France's Orange and Italy's telecom operator Telecom Italia have been discussing a possible alliance between the former monopolies, Orange's chief executive told the Journal de Dimanche.
Telecom Italia (TLIT.MI) will examine a possible tie-up between its Brazilian unit Tim Participacoes (TIMP3.SA) and local group Oi (OIBR3.SA), it said as it announced the sale of mobile phone masts for more than 900 million euros ($1.1 billion).
Telecom operator Swisscom (SCMN.VX) is considering a possible sale of its Italian broadband firm Fastweb, which is worth up to 5 billion euros ($6.3 billion) and has been a target for Vodafone (VOD.L), sources familiar with the situation said.
Facebook (FB.O), the world's most popular social network, gained European Union clearance on Friday for its proposed $19 billion takeover of mobile messaging startup WhatsApp in a deal setting it against the telecoms industry.
French media company Vivendi (VIV.PA) picked Telefonica (TEF.MC) for exclusive talks over the sale of its Brazilian broadband unit GVT, spurning a rival bid from Telecom Italia (TLIT.MI).
The battle over Brazil's telecoms market intensified on Thursday as European competitors Telecom Italia and Telefonica made rival offers for Vivendi's Brazilian broadband business GVT.
The battle over Brazil's telecoms market is heating up, with the country's biggest fixed-line firm Oi signaling it may make an offer for Telecom Italia's local mobile business.
Naguib Sawiris has been looking at a potential investment in Telecom Italia, his latest attempt after failing to get hold of stake two years ago, reported Ventures Africa.
Italian newspaper Il Sole 24 Ore said Telefonica is planning a joint offer of TIM Brasil, the local wireless unit of Telecom Italia, Reuters reported.
Shareholders of Telecom Italia on Friday thwarted by a slim majority a proposal by rebel investor Marco Fossati to oust its board. Fossati, the third-largest shareholder in Telecom Italia, may consider pursuing a legal challenge.
Shareholders of Italian telecom company Telecom Italia are were said to vote this week on whether or not to oust its current board. Rebel investor Findim Group on Monday proposed candidates for Telecom Italia's new board.
A report by Bloomberg read that New York-based investment firm BlackRock said it complied with disclosure rules in its Telecom Italia stake after a watchdog said in a newspaper interview that the firm may have not followed rules when it did not report an increase in its stake in the telecommunications firm..
BlackRock Inc will have to say on Monday what stake it holds in Italy's biggest telecom operator Telecom Italia, after the Italian market watchdog threatened to fine it for not disclosing an increase.
New York-based money manager BlackRock Inc. increased its stake in Telecom Italia to 10%, becoming its second-largest shareholder. This could potentially tip the balance at a shareholder meeting set to vote on the proposed ouster of Telecom Italia's board, according to a Reuters report.
Telecom Italia's activist investor Marco Fossati campaigned against the enforced sale of TIM Brasil. Brazil's competition regulatory body ruled earlier this week that Telecom Italia must divest its stake in the Brazilian mobile carrier.
Subscribe to VCpost newsletter
- The IRS Proposes Child Tax Credit Expansion To Benefit 16 Million Low-Income Children
- North Korea's Kim Jong Un Receives Car From Russia's Vladimir Putin in Another Sign of Warming Ties Between the 2 Countries
- Kevin Hart's Entertainment Company To Be Led By A Former Warner Bros. Executive
- North Korea Is Ready to Boost Bilateral Ties With Japan, Which Just Lost Its Spot as World's Third-Largest Economy
- Reddit to Go Public After Submitting Its IPO Filing to Trade on NYSE Under the Ticker 'RDDT'
- Elon Musk Gets Into Heated Exchange With Stephen King After the Author Refused to Call Twitter by Its New Name X
- EU Blacklists North Korea’s Defense Minister, Chinese Firms for First Time in New Sanctions Over Russia's War in Ukraine
- Google Halts Gemini AI Image Generation Tool After 'Inaccuracies' in Historical Pictures