Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Second Replacement Explodes
According to a US media report, the second replacement of Samsung Galaxy Note 7 has sent a Michael Klering to the hospital with smoke inhalation injuries after waking up at 4am to find his bedroom filled with smoke and his phone on fire. Later in the day, Klering went to the hospital with acute bronchitis caused by smoke inhalation.
Klering, who was from Nicholasville, Kentucky, told the media that he already informed Samsung about the explosion incident that happened to his unit. However, Samsung did not say anything.
"The phone is supposed to be a replacement, so you would have thought it would be safe," Klering told a local broadcaster from WKYT.
This incident comes after another replacement Note 7 caught fire on a Southwest Airlines plane on Wednesday.
He furthered that his mobile phone was not plugged in when it suddenly caught fire at his home. BBC's North America Technology Reporter Dave Lee speaks that Samsung is now facing a "full-blown crisis", adding that this latest news raises "serious questions over its obligation to protect public interest.
Samsung asked Klering if they could take possession of the phone and he said no, though the company did pay to have it x-rayed - but the damning evidence comes in the form of a text message that Klering inadvertently received from a Samsung representative.
Samsung has been forced to issue new models of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphone after several complaints of faulty batteries subject to a mass recall in September.
On Wednesday, another replacement of Galaxy Note 7 also caught fire on a Southwest Airlines plane bound to fly from Louisville, Kentucky, to Baltimore, Maryland.
According to an interview by BBC, a Southwest Airlines spokesperson said, "A customer reported smoke emitting from an electronic device. All customers and crew deplaned safely via the main cabin door." The plane was evacuated before take-off and Samsung said it was investigating the incident.
Join the Conversation