Weather New York, NY +83°F

Regions

Small Scottish island wants to be world's first 100% renewable energy place

Close
(Credit: Reuters) A general view shows the Whitelee wind farm near Eaglesham, East Renfrewshire, in Scotland.Renewable energy
February 17
7:54 PM 2014

Eigg, a small island which is part of Scotland's Hebrides archipelago, wants to be the world's first 100% renewable-energy place by replacing current diesel generators with a network of wind turbines, hydroelectric plants, and solar panels as sources of electricity, wrote VentureBeat.

In 2008, Eigg Electric established the first electric grid in the island. The project was made possible through a $2.6 million funding from the European Union and other UK government agencies, the report detailed.

Eigg is located on the edge of the Atlantic Ocean. The weather in this place is unusual and severe. But because of these factors, the island is an ideal setting for the production of renewable energy. To ensure that everybody gets a steady supply, electricity is rationed during times of less cooperative weather. Eigg has been owned by the islanders since 1997, the report stated.

At present, renewable energy makes up 85% of the power needs of Eigg. The remaining 15% is still being supplied by diesel generators, VentureBeat reported.

© 2019 VCPOST, All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
Tags
Share

Comments

Join the Conversation

Subscribe to VCpost newsletter

Sign up for our Deals of the Day newsletter.
We will not spam you!

Real Time Analytics