Android 5.1.1 Lollipop to Samsung Galaxy J1 on Verizon Update Guide
Android Lollipop's 5.1.1 software version is officially rolling out to Samsung Galaxy J1 units of Verizon Wireless. The update comes via firmware over-the-air (FOTA) which began September 2.
Verizon's versions of Samsung Galaxy J1 with model number LMY48B will get both Android's and the carrier's changes and new features, plus security enhancements. Verizon brings in its own improvements alongside the Lollipop update.
- Clock. Display and options menu are simplified to be more user-friendly.
- Email. Visual theme is enhanced for a more convenient reading experience.
- Gallery. Menu options is simplified for a more convenient navigation.
- Settings. Settings has additional options for increased functionality.
- Video. Notifications is enhanced for better readability.
The Android 5.1.1 Lollipop features improvements in Material Design, notification controls, device sharing, and device syncing.
- Material Design. Enjoy a more colorful and fresh new look and feel. Lollipop brings in more fluid animations along with improved apps and personalization options like colors, widgets and themes.
- Notification controls. Worry less because with the new notification controls, users can now adjust settings to sift people and notifications go get through. Users can also directly respond from lock screen when it is important.
- Device sharing. Sharing device can now be done more securely through guest user mode. Create multiple user accounts to allow friends to access device to prevent them from accessing owner's private files. With Android Smart Lock, secure device by pairing it with trusted device like any wearable or even car.
- Device syncing. Apps, song, photos and even recent searches from one Android device can be accessed fully across all other Android devices.
When notified by Verizon that the update is already available, just click "Install Now." Then follow onscreen instructions.
The update comes in stages, which means it will come to some units on a later time. If Google has not released the latest Android Lollipop version yet, go for manual downloading. Here's a quick guide for manual download of Android 5.1.1 Lollipop.
1. Go to Settings from app tray or pull down menu.
2. Select More.
3. Select About Device.
4. Select Software Update.
5. Follow onscreen instructions.
Make sure that the device is registered to a Google account and is connected to a Wi-Fi.
Other option for download is to use Samsung Kies and USB cable. Here's a quick guide:
1. Connect device to PC using the USB cable.
2. Open Samsung Kies.
3. Click Firmware upgrade to begin installation of Android 5.1.1 Lollipop.
4. Follow onscreen instructions to back up data.
When verifying the update, the software version should now be LMY48B.J100VPPVRU3AOH1.