YouTube and Fox Settle Negotiations, Preventing Blackout of Popular Channels

By

YouTube and Fox Settle Negotiations, Preventing Blackout of Popular Channels
The YouTube logo is seen outside the company's corporate headquarters in San Bruno, California, on April 23, 2025. YouTube turned 20 years old and is on track to become the biggest media company by revenue at $550 billion. JOSH EDELSON/AFP via Getty Images/Getty Images

YouTube and Fox have reached a deal that will keep popular channels like Fox News, Fox Sports, and Fox Business available to YouTube TV subscribers, avoiding a blackout that could have left millions without access to key programming.

The companies confirmed the agreement Thursday but did not reveal financial terms.

The settlement came just hours after a Wednesday deadline, when the existing carriage agreement was set to expire.

YouTube had warned that Fox networks could disappear from its service if a deal wasn't made, leaving customers without college football games, major sports coverage, and daily news.

"Millions of Americans are relying on YouTube to resolve this dispute so they can keep watching the news and sports they want," said Federal Communications Commission Chairman Brendan Carr earlier this week.

He urged the two sides to reach a deal before the weekend's major football matchup between Texas and Ohio State, Reuters reported.

The dispute centered on payments. Fox argued that YouTube was using its size to avoid paying fair market rates, while YouTube said Fox was demanding fees much higher than other networks with similar programming.

In a blog post, YouTube explained it was pushing for "a fair deal for both sides" without passing on higher costs to subscribers.

Fox Confirms Agreement With YouTube TV, Avoids Service Disruption

Fox also rallied customers to its side, launching a website called keepfox.com that encouraged viewers to pressure YouTube into an agreement.

A spokesperson for Fox said they were disappointed in Google's negotiating tactics but confirmed the short-term extension that ultimately led to a permanent deal.

For YouTube TV's 8 million subscribers, the agreement means uninterrupted access to more than 100 live channels, including FS1 and the Big Ten Network, which were also at risk of being pulled.

According to CBS News, at $82.99 a month, the service has become one of the most popular cable alternatives for families who want live sports and news without a traditional satellite or cable package.

This is not the first time YouTube TV has faced a high-stakes standoff with a major media company.

In 2021, its subscribers temporarily lost access to Disney-owned channels like ESPN and ABC before a last-minute deal was struck.

Earlier this year, YouTube TV also secured an agreement with Paramount Global to keep CBS, Nickelodeon, and Comedy Central on the platform after tense talks.

Fox recently launched its own streaming service, Fox One, for $19.99 a month, its deal with YouTube TV shows that partnerships with distributors remain critical for reaching millions of households.

Tags
YouTube, Fox

© 2025 VCPOST.com All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.

Join the Conversation