European banking regulators have begun probing links between banks and tax havens in the wake of leakage of Panama Papers. Switzerland's financial watchdog FINMA has cautioned banks to crack down on money laundering. Geneva has also commenced a criminal enquiry into banks dealing with tax havens in the wake of Panama Papers.
The Royal Bank of Canada has released an official statement, explaining that the bank is not guilty for any illegal activities including tax evasion in connection to shell company set up as mentioned in leaked papers from Panama’s Mossack Fonseca. The bank claimed to have high standards to ensure clients would not use its services to evade tax.
The Panama Papers documents leak suggest that Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko might be using an offshore company to evade tax. However, the president has denied such accusations, saying that he has not been managing the assets since he became president in 2014.
Top M&A lawyer, Scott Barshay, leaves Cravath to be a global head of mergers and acquisitions for rival law firm Paul, Weiss. Mr. Barshay has been representing big and high-profile clients, including Honeywell, Starwood, and 3G investment firm.
The history’s biggest confidential documents leak revealed Russian elites, mostly Mr Putin’s inner circles, as clients of an offshore law firm in Panama. The offshore money trail connected to Mr Putin’s allies is worth $2 billion.
On Monday, Andrew Caspersen, a previous partner of PJT Partners, was arrested for committing a Wall Street fraud. The US prosecutors accused Caspersen of defrauding $95 million from investors.
Eike Batista's OSX Brasil SA engaged the services of Bingham McCutchen LLP for its restructuring efforts.
Subscribe to VCpost newsletter
- The IRS Proposes Child Tax Credit Expansion To Benefit 16 Million Low-Income Children
- Kevin Hart's Entertainment Company To Be Led By A Former Warner Bros. Executive
- Joe Biden Lambasted Online for Bragging Supreme Court 'Didn't Stop' Him From Canceling Student Loan Debt
- North Korea's Kim Jong Un Receives Car From Russia's Vladimir Putin in Another Sign of Warming Ties Between the 2 Countries
- US SEC Scraps Some of Its Most Ambitious Greenhouse Gas Emission Disclosure Requirements From Draft Climate Rules: Report
- Judge Junks Donald Trump Requests for 30-Day Extension to Pay $355 Million Civil Fraud Fine
- Reddit to Go Public After Submitting Its IPO Filing to Trade on NYSE Under the Ticker 'RDDT'
- Intuitive Machines Makes History After Its Odysseus Lander Becomes First Commercial Spacecraft to Land on Moon