Sony Xperia Z1 Compact, Xperia Z1 & Xperia Z Ultra Android 5.1.1 Lollipop Now Live!
Sony has finally rolled out the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop update to Sony Xperia Z1 Compact, Xperia Z1 and Xperia Z Ultra smartphones. The rollout comes after rumors that Sony too is skipping Lollipop's final software version. Sony Xperia noted that the update will come with a long-term solution for the Stagefright vulnerability fix.
Android 5.1.1 Lollipop update comes to Xperia Z1 Compact, Xperia Z1 and Xperia Z Ultra handsets with build number 14.6.A.0.368. The update will also come in stages which means some phones will receive it on a later date. It is currently live rolling out in some parts of the globe including the US.
However, major mobile carriers here have not yet released the rollout. Verizon, US Cellular, T-Mobile, Sprint and AT&T have no word official word regarding the update yet.
Sony has been known in the market to release overdue updates to its smartphones and tablets. This time, Sony is keeping up with the growing competition in Android population.
Android 5.1.1 Lollipop will bring in the following changelog:
- Improvements to volume and silent mode control, more control of your alerts, simplified and enhanced design
- Integration of LinkedIn with your Calendar and Contacts
- Camera focus, speed and accuracy improvements in Superior Auto mode
- Many new features for Xperia in Business, enhancing enterprise support for Xperia
- Now take pictures from the camera using Sony SmartWatch 3; use the SW3 as a remote shutter button
- Instant calendar events - create & share smart events directly from any email
- Calendar agenda in Email - no need to switch apps to check upcoming events
- Richer Xperia themes
- New Settings menu icons
- Additional options for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth in notification menu
Android 5.1.1 Lollipop comes via over-the-air update. If prompted for the update, just tap "Install Now" and follow onscreen instructions. To manually check for the download, go to Settings > About phone > Software updates > System updates. Also, check the software version before download by going to Settings > About phone > Build number/version.
Make sure the phone is fully charged and storage has enough memory space. Sony recommends using Wi-Fi connection instead of data.