Regions

Belgium government grant-loan helps expand water, sanitation services in Kenyan town

Close
September 3
12:09 PM 2013

The government of Belgium granted funding in the amount of KES 2 billion to Kenya to expand the water and sanitation infrastructure in Iten. Iten is located in the Rift Valley Province of Kenya. Water problems has plagued the town's over 100,000 residents.

The terms of the agreement stipulate that 65% of the funds would be given as a grant. The remaining 35% would have to be repaid as a loan. Simon Kiplagat, the Chief Executive Officer of the Iten-Tamback Water Services Company told the Radio Africa Group, "The government has negotiated for good terms which will largely be a loan to be repaid within the time to be agreed on." He also said Kenya's National Treasury was making the final preparations for the Iten expansion program to begin.

The World Bank and the governments of Germany and Belgium are the primary donors who had been helping Kenya improve its water system. They had pledged to shoulder more than half of the funds needed for projects that would provide residents better access to clean water.

© 2022 VCPOST, All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
Tags
Share

Comments

Join the Conversation

Subscribe to VCpost newsletter

Sign up for our Deals of the Day newsletter.
We will not spam you!

Real Time Analytics