European Union antitrust regulators will decide by Oct. 3 whether to clear world No. 1 online social network Facebook's $19 billion offer for mobile messaging startup WhatsApp, the European Commission said on Monday.
A spokesperson from SingTel said that the company has no plans to pass charges to its clients who had been using OTT services like WhatsApp, said a ChannelNewsAsia report.
After experiencing three hours and a half of server shutdown last Saturday, WhatsApp rivals Telegram and Line gained a lot of new global users.
Menlo Park, US-based venture capital firm Lightspeed Venture Partners invested an undisclosed amount in San Jose Spiders, a professional Frisbee league owned by Cisco Systems Inc president Rob Lloyd.
Messenger app for smartphones, WhatsApp, suffers from a series of chain letter hoax after being purchased by social media giant Facebook last February 19.
Tokyo-based mobile messaging app Line Corp could reach its goal of 500 million instant messaging users by the end of this year even as it thinks about a possible IPO, Bloomberg reported.
With the spotlight suddenly turned on messaging apps after Facebook acquired WhatsApp, Chinese app WeChat released a major upgrade for the iOS and Android versions with new features such as real-time location sharing and chat history search.
Within just 24 hours, Zurich, Switzerland-based encrypted messaging startup Threema soared to the top of Germany's paid App Store chart due to a 200,000 subscriber addition, 80% of which are in Germany.
From the viewpoint of venture capital, the real victors of the recently-announced acquisition of WhatsApp by Facebook are Sequoia Capital and Partner Jim Goetz, TechCrunch reported.
Facebook will be buying WhatsApp in a cash and stock deal worth $16 billion. The messaging giant will also be retaining its brand and will function as an independent unit, TechCrunch reported.
Subscribe to VCpost newsletter
- Two Apple medical trials shed light on how HealthKit will work
- LVMH's TAG Heuer has plans for smartwatch: paper
- London designers target fashion-hungry shoppers with 'tech firsts'
- China advances gold exchange launch, Singapore delays contract
- Apple iPhone 6 pre-orders hit record 4 million on first day
- Vernalis PLC Announces FDA Accepts Tuzistra(TM) XR NDA for Full Review
- Germany's ZF to take over TRW Automotive for $13.5 billion
- Retirement insecurity: Two studies underline housing and income challenges